Listening to a lot of Martech vendor pitches that are all starting to sound the same? Unsure which type of technology is supposed to solve your problems and fulfill your use cases? We’re trying to solve pain points around not only customer data management and real-time engagement, but also navigating the martech and data management landscape. That’s why we’ve put together this post outlining the differences between three of the most commonly confused types of software -- the Data Management Platform, the Customer Data Platform and the Customer Data Platform + Orchestration. Keep reading for an easy-to-digest summary!
What is a Data Management Platform?
Just like it sounds--a Data Management Platform (DMP) is a data warehouse that provides a central source for data from any number of sources.
- Manages anonymous audiences to improve advertising.
- According to Martech Today, “A DMP offers a central location for marketers to access and manage data like mobile identifiers and cookie IDs to create targeting segments for their digital advertising campaigns.”
What is a Customer Data Platform?
According to the CDP Institute, a CDP is “A marketer-managed system that creates a persistent, unified customer database that is accessible to other systems.”
- An alternative to a traditional enterprise data warehouse.
- Creates a unified view of each individual customer from disparate sources.
- Marketers can leverage the customer data within this view to segment and engage customers, whereas, with legacy systems they have had to rely on IT to access this data and act on it.
- CDPs deal with known customers and can recognize and ingest personally identifiable information on customers.
What is a Customer Data Platform + Orchestration?
A CDP + Orchestration gathers customer data from various channels to provide a unified view of the customer for real-time insight and action. You can think of a CDP + Orchestration as a combination of a system of insight and a system of engagement.
- Unlike DMPs or CDPs, CDPs + Orchestration provide marketers with the ability to trigger campaigns with native or third party execution, along with offer management/recommendations and loyalty rules to provide better and more sophisticated engagement.
- Marketers can trigger campaign activity directly through the Customer Data Platform + Orchestration or a third party vendor.
- Marketers can utilize product and offer recommendations that will maximize the most value out of customer outreach - eliminating generic “one size fits all” offers. Offer recommendations provide insight into what outreach will entice customers to convert instead of marketers blanketing the market with generic, one size fits all offers that do not result in additional revenue for the brand.
- Includes POS integration for closed loop offers so marketers can create single use coupon codes that can be can be sent out to customers and redeemed at POS.
- As a opposed to the anonymous data that DMPs rely on to segment audiences (you can’t drill down further), CDPs + Orchestration leverage more precise matching because a match is only made when there is a definite link.
Data + Engagement in One Platform
SessionM combines Systems of Insight (CDPs) with Systems of Engagement (CRM) to enable brands to act on the data they collect in real time. Our SaaS-based platform detects customer engagement as it occurs across channels, associates that activity in real time to a “Golden Record” customer profile that’s stored in the cloud, and enables optimal response to that consumer engagement with personalized campaigns, offers, or loyalty promotions. Our unique combination of data and engagement empowers many of the world’s most innovative brands to forge stronger, more loyal, and more profitable customer relationships.
Want to see the platform in action? Request a demo today!